Friday, November 11, 2011

Breathing: a matter of rhythm.


Milligan College and Emmanuel Christian Seminary are located in the mountains of East Tennessee. Twenty years ago I graduated from Emmanuel and now my son is a student at Milligan. This morning I planned to attend Emmanuel Chapel service which is held every day at 9.30. I figured It would take me a half an hour to walk from Milligan to Emmanuel. So I left at 9 to face this cold air that encouraged me to speed up. When I came to Milligan Highway (which is actually a simple street) and looked up to the hill where Emmanuel stands I thought not to follow the road that goes around. I made a shortcut through a cemented slope which is a drain with steps. That saved me a few minutes walk but I still had to face the second curve. At this point I was out of breath and feeling that unpleasant sensation of cold air going though my throat. I arrived in time to greet some people and rush to the chapel find a seat and catch my breath.
The service today was an opportunity for a Homiletic student to practice his sermon. He began asking us to "Take a deep breath, now exhale. Again ..." I thought he had noticed my lack of fitness and was helping me to relax before the sermon. Then he went on talking about the number of times you breathe daily and continue on other "breathing" interesting and funny stories. He warned us that his sermon was not on Respiration but on Rhythm.
And then he introduced us into a nice thought about our spiritual life which must be based on a rhythm of inspiration (I) and expiration (E), breathing in and breathing out. He read Acts 2.42-46 and showed us that point: (i) Apostles' teaching (Breath in the Word), (E) Wonders and signs performed by the apostles (Breath out). (I) Fellowship (Breath in), (E) Enjoying the favor of all the people (Breath out). (I) The breaking of bread, Eucharist (Breath in), (E) They broke bread in their homes (Breath out). (I) Prayer (Breath in), (E) Praising God (Breath out).
I never thought a sermon would resound so much on my physical experience of walking in a mountainous terrain. Some say it's my age, or the lack of exercise. I will say that is the altitude and lack of oxygen (Yeah right!). I got used to live at sea level.
I does not matter if I got accustomed to breath sea air mixed with smog in California, or breath pure oxygen in the frigid mountains of Tennessee, for one thing I need to do: keep the spiritual rhythm of holy breathing ... Breathe in, breathe out, in, out, filling, emptying, receiving, delivering, learning, teaching, holding, dispensing, being blessed, blessing others.
Lord: May every breath of fresh air reminds me that
"This is the air I breathe,
Your holy presence living in me.
And I, I'm desperate for you
And I, I'm I'm lost without you."

1 comment: